Bem Brasil Buffet


The Bem Brasil Buffet on South Whitney Street just off Park is my favorite place to get take-out in Hartford. I went in there several years ago, and as soon as I walked in the place, I felt every eye was on me, and everyone stopped talking. Who was this tall stranger in their clubhouse? I looked around for some clue about how to get food, but all I could see was a small buffet area, some plates, and some Styrofoam containers. There were no prices anywhere, and no one was volunteering to help me. I was uncertain if it was fill it up and pay one set set price or pay by the pound. I can speak Spanish, but not Portuguese, which is what I believed they were speaking when I first walked in before the place went silent. Still uncertain, I just nodded and walked back out.

Not to return until this past Spring, and only then after another medic had mentioned he'd worked with someone who had gone in there one day and walked out with food.

When I went in, I got the same silent treatment I'd had before. A soccer game was going on one big-screen TV and a Brazilian starlet was singing on another screen. There were several men drinking bottles of beer at the small bar, and three others sitting at a table in suspended conversation. This time I spotted a small cardboard sign with hand writing on it posted above the buffet. $4.99 lb. Carne $6.99 lb.

There were maybe 12 offerings in small heated buffet pans. I took a Styrofoam container and served myself some white rice, some sweet potatoes, and then added some kind of chicken simmered with okra, some short ribs and a pork sausage. I added some sweet plantains, folded the lid over and walked to the register where I handed it to a massive bearded strongman who stood behind the bar. He nodded, set it on the scale. I handed him a ten. He took it and handed me several dollars in change, put the carton in a plastic bag with a plastic fork with napkin. I nodded and walked out.



The food was unbelievably delicious. Meat moist and tender and flavorful. It tasted like home-cooking.

I have been back many times since. Still no conversations, but at least there is some recognition of me with nods when I come in. And the other patrons no longer stop talking when I come in. My sense is this is a local hangout for the Brazilian community, and not many other people wander in off the street. But believe me, it is worth it. There are many days when I should be trying new places, that I stop in here because I am hungry and want some home cooking at a cheap price.

The food there changes everyday. You never know what you are going to get, but there is usually always at least one variety of rice, beans, chicken, beef, pork, salad.

I went in there the other day near closing and the pickings were sort of meager. Still I served myself some rice, some chicken, a beef dish, and some steamed vegetables, and as always, they were awesomely delicious. And I got some conversation too. My partner bought three small shrimp cakes from the glass case by the register. Everything in the case is only $1.50. Again, very delicious. Homemade.

No comments:

Post a Comment