Tastease Doughnuts


Tastease 70 New Park Avenue (860) 233-2235
Mini and Midi Doughnuts

If you like doughnuts, this hole-in-the-wall shop on New Park Avenue is the place. Tastease midi doughnuts (smaller than a regular doughnut, but bigger than a mini doughnut) are made fresh early every morning and hand-decorated by the husband and wife who own the place. In business for business for 8 years, they have 36 different varieties. They open at 7 on Tuesday through Friday and 8 on Saturday. They are closed on Sunday and Monday. While they are open until 3 each day, it is not unusual for them to sell out in an hour or less, particularly on Saturdays.

When I first went in, I asked for a half dozen, but, disoriented by the variety, I was completely unable to choose, so I finally said, just give me a dozen and you pick. Here’s what I got: pumpkin, apple with crème cheese, red velvet with raspberry crème, Oreo cookie, blueberry, orange juice, pancake, maple, lemon crème, swiss chocolate, and some others.

I usually don't even eat doughnuts. I was just going in to try the place because it was there. I ended up eating five in a matter of minutes and nine within the hour. They taste just like they are named. These are gourmet, filled with love and tender care, doughnuts. I tell people they are made by elves. The hardest part for me is deciding which one to eat. They taste so good, but they are so beautiful, I don’t want to destroy them; I just want to look at them and show them to people.



I am now a Johnny Appleseed of Tastee doughnuts. I buy a dozen or two (the doughnuts are put in pizza boxes) and I walk around handing them out to friends and strangers. I will leave a box in the EMS room of a hospital or at a nurse’s station. I will drop a dozen off to a friend with children. I’ll hand a box to the homeless men in the park across from the shelter. I feel like I am doing the world a good deed.

Midis are 50 cents each, a half dozen for $2.95, a baker’s dozen for $4.95. You can get one of each variety (called a 3-dozen gourmet platter) for $14.00. If you are worried about the doughnuts being sold out, you can call ahead the night before and put in an order that they will reserve for you.

You can also get breakfast sandwiches and minidoughts, which I haven’t tried yet, but they are always sold out by the time I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment